Dear Parents and Student/Athletes:
Welcome to the South Side Interscholastic Athletic program. Opportunities are available to all students in grades 7-12.
The Rockville Centre Schools are governed by the New York State Education Department’s Commissioner’s Regulations, the New York State Public High School Athletic Association, Section VIII of Nassau County and our School District’s Board of Education policies. The Athletic Department oversees and enforces all rules that govern interscholastic competition in the County and State.
We realize the importance of a quality interscholastic program in our community. This handbook will provide pertinent information concerning many areas of our programs. Coaches will provide specific concerns for each team. If you would like your son/daughter to participate on a JV or Varsity sport team this year, he/she needs to be in good academic standing and have a completed sports physical submitted to and approved by the school nurse prior to the start of the season (including concussion testing for contact sports as described below). Please be aware of the following items that relate to all sport seasons:
1) At the HS level, especially varsity, it is expected that all athletes come into the tryout process in top physical condition to give him/her the best opportunity to make the team.
2) An athlete who does not have the proper physical clearance is not eligible to participate in any part of a tryout/practice.
3) An athlete who does not actively participate during the sports specific tryout/practice sessions may not be eligible to be a member of the team.
4) If an athlete is injured prior to the tryout process but still wants to be on the team after being medically cleared, he/she must attend all tryouts and practices from the first day of the season to be eligible for consideration for that season.
5) During the course of the athletic season, members of the press will be photographing and/or filming our athletic teams and players. Unless the Athletic Office is notified in writing otherwise, it will be assumed that you are giving the school district permission for your son/daughter to be photographed and/or filmed during any sporting event throughout the year.
6) Due to the nature of high school athletics, it will be necessary for coaches to hold practices and/or games/meets on Saturdays, holidays and/or during school vacation breaks. By permitting your son/daughter to join a team you are agreeing to this policy and it is expected that your son/daughter participate during these practices/games in lieu of personal vacations or school visits. Absences at practice and/or games during these times may result in suspension of game play or expulsion from team if repeated.
Support for our programs is vital. If there is anything I can do in order to make your participation a better learning experience, please feel free to contact my office at 255-8972.
Very truly yours,
Director of Physical Education, Health and Athletics