SOUTH SIDE HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT-ATHLETE CONTRACT
To create consistency between team protocols and behavior consequences, and to enhance the individual experience, the South Side High School Athletic program adopts the following basic expectations of its members. By signing and returning page-two of this contract to my coach, I along with my parent/guardian are agreeing to abide by these standards and accept any corresponding consequences:
PRESEASON: I understand that in order for me to participate on a JV or Varsity team I need to maintain good academic standing and have a current sports physical submitted to and approved by the school nurse practitioner prior to the start of the season (including concussion testing for contact sports). In the case of teams that have tryouts, medical clearance must be received before tryouts begin. Lack of medical clearance will result in the loss of tryout opportunities. I also understand that at the HS level I am expected to come into the tryout process in top physical condition to give me the best opportunity to make the team and participate in a healthy manner. It is also my responsibility to report any illnesses or injuries to my coach BEFORE tryouts begin.
Being on an athletic team is a privilege not a right
- I understand that if I am found to be in possession of or use alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, e-cigarettes, juuls or vapes, on or off campus during the season, it will result in a suspension and/or expulsion from the team. I understand that if I host a party where alcohol or drugs are available, it will result in a suspension and/or expulsion from the team.
- I understand that if I participate in any type of physical bullying, cyber bullying, hazing or harassment in any form, it will result in a suspension and/or expulsion from the team.
- I understand that if I am assigned to in-school or out-of-school suspension, depending on the infraction, I may also forfeit the opportunity to participate in my next eligible athletic game(s) upon my return to school. A serious infraction will result in additional suspensions from games upon return from the school suspension and/or expulsion from the team.
- I understand that I am expected to exhibit good sportsmanship towards my teammates, coaches, opponents and officials on and off the field of play. If I do not, I understand that this will have consequences which may include loss of playing time and/or suspension from the team at the discretion of the coach, the District or Section VIII BOCES.
- I understand that my behavior in and around school, even when away from sports, is a reflection of my team, coach and athletic department and will act accordingly.
- Due to the nature of high school athletics, it will be necessary for coaches to hold practices/games/meets/matches on Saturdays, Sundays, holidays and/or during school vacation breaks. I understand that it is my obligation to attend these practices/games/meets/matches if I am joining this team and it occurs during my season. Absences from weekend, holiday and vacation practices/games/meets/matches, without prior approval from my coach will have consequences which may include loss of playing time and/or suspension from the team at the discretion of the coach.
- I understand that I must be in attendance for at least 5 periods of school in order to participate in practices or games that day.
- I will commit myself to my team and I understand that I am not permitted to leave early on a regular basis throughout the season for any school club or outside activity.
- I will commit myself to attending all practices and games from beginning to end. I understand that if I have an unexcused absence the day before a game, have to leave practice early, or have missed practices and games over the break, this will have consequences which may include loss of playing time and/or suspension from the team at the discretion of the coach. It is the responsibility of the athlete to communicate absences or potential absences directly with the coach. In extenuating circumstances, if the athlete is unable to communicate, it is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to communicate with the coach.
- I understand that playing time at the High School level is not a right regardless of grade or number of years on the team, it is earned and no athlete is guaranteed playing time.
- When a bus is scheduled, I understand that I am required to travel on the bus to and from all athletic practices and games. In the special circumstance that my parent/guardian needs to drop me off or take me home, I will get approval at least 24 hours in advance by bringing the “Parent Drop off/Pick-up Consent Form” to the Athletic Director’s office for a signature. This form can be found on the athletic website. I understand that high school athletes are not permitted to drive their own car to practice or games.
- I understand that all personal Items must be stored and locked in my locker before I exit the locker room for sports and that I am 100% responsible for my belongings.
- I understand that multiple infractions of any of the above rules will have consequences which may include loss of playing time and/or suspension from the team at the discretion of the coach.
- Grievances: If there is a grievance by a student-athlete, the athlete and the District will adhere to the following process:
- The athlete should address any issues with the coach directly. Discussion of playing time should only happen at this level. If the issue is not resolved then the…
- Parent/guardian should email the coach to schedule a meeting with the athlete, parent/guardian and coach. If the issue is still not resolved after this meeting then the…
- Parent/guardian should email the Athletic Director to schedule a meeting with the athlete, parent/guardian, coach and AD.
- If the grievance is not resolved by the Athletic Director the student or his/her family may appeal to the Superintendent and if not resolved at that level then they may appeal to the Board of Education.